SUMMER PROGRAMS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION INTERN
SUMMER PROGRAMS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION INTERN
Boston Harbor Now (BHN) is an organization committed to re-establishing Boston as one of the world’s truly great coastal cities – ensuring a vibrant, welcoming and resilient Boston Harbor, waterfront, and islands for everyone. This is an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of talented individuals who work closely with public agencies, communities and private and non-profit partners.
As a member of the program team, the SUMMER PROGRAMS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION INTERN will assist with over 200 recreational programs and special events in Boston Harbor Islands National & State Park.
Boston Harbor Now is a non-profit organization committed to equitable access, climate resiliency, and the Harbor’s role in the health and economy of our region. As the legislated partner of the Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park and the City’s partner for the Harborwalk, it encourages people to explore Boston’s waterfront and Islands by promoting and hosting hundreds of free and low-cost recreational, cultural and social events. BHN partners with the City of Boston and waterfront communities to prepare for sea level rise, while promoting outstanding waterfront open space, and partners with the Mass Department of Transportation to develop and advance a Boston Harbor-wide water transportation plan for expanded ferry service. They support investment and innovation in Boston’s working port to better support our 21st Century maritime economy.
BHN’s vision is bold and requires a broad range of expertise, including planning, policy, business, operations, development, advocacy, communications and programming. A key part of our mission is ensuring our communities are protected from the impacts of our changing climate including sea level rise and storms. Current projects underway include: the Stone Living Lab – focused on finding nature-based solutions to sea level rise; the redevelopment of Long Wharf as a climate resilient water transportation gateway to the Harbor; development of Moakley Park, the City’s largest waterfront park that will be a model for resilient park design serving some of those most in need of high quality recreation; and implementation of the Master Plan for Peddocks Island.
For more information about Boston Harbor Now, please visit: www.bostonharbornow.org
About the Position
This summer, Boston Harbor Now seeks a motivated and energetic intern to assist with more than 200 recreational programs and special events in Boston Harbor Islands National & State Park, including fitness programming, live concerts, after hours events and cruises, and island camping programs! Taking direction from the programs team, this intern will help facilitate a series of enriching public programs on a weekly basis, including children’s art activities, fitness and wellness programs, concerts and other live performances, and public kayaking programs. This position is primarily remote, but many duties take place largely outdoors within the Park and around the mainland waterfront. The programs intern will assist in the organizing, execution, and monitoring of the Boston Harbor Now’s robust programming calendar.
This is a part-time stipend position requiring a flexible work schedule.
- Working outdoors on the Islands with a diverse audience of families and community groups visiting the park, conducting work with professionalism and compassion for everyone encountered.
- Leading games, arts and crafts, and other play activities for children and families
- Setting up equipment and working with musicians to help facilitate outdoor concert series
- Working with fitness instructors to deliver fitness classes in the park
- Helping to plan and implement larger special events such as our 5K, Free Ferry Days, and Spectacle Summer Nights
- Promoting program offerings through online calendars and social media
- Representing Boston Harbor Now in interactions with vendors, partner staff, and the public
- Other duties in the office and in the park as needed such as:
- Supporting the improvement of program or event management tools.
- Supporting programs with a focus on data collection and analysis.
- Supporting partners and providing customer service by connecting via email and phone
- Researching new program ideas and vendors for 2023
- Managing partner schedules and layouts, and assisting in administrative duties as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Proficiency in Google Suite, including Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Drive, and Calendar, to manage appointments, document sharing, and digital collaboration
- Proficiency in advanced Microsoft Excel skills preferred including vlookup function, filters, and formulas
- Problem solving skills and ability to present possible solutions to supervisor
- High school diploma or GED is preferred but not required. Other credentials, traditional and nontraditional, and experience considered and appreciated.
The ideal candidate:
- Is highly organized and punctual
- Has a strong work ethic, is good at taking direction, and is able to work with minimal supervision
- Experience and/or interest in event planning, creative placemaking, community activation, and/or the nonprofit sector a plus.
- Has a demonstrated interest in public parks and/or community programming and events
- Has experience working with children and families
- Has experience working with groups and the public, particularly in an event setting
- Is interested in music and performing arts
- Is comfortable leading outdoor recreational activities
- Is comfortable lifting heavy equipment (20-40 pounds) and is willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including heat and heavy rain
- Ability to speak Spanish, Mandarin, or Portugese is preferred
- Is a proactive problem solver
- Pays attention to detail
- Works well with people inside and outside the organization
- Believes in the mission of Boston Harbor Now
Part time to full time intern positions from June through August. There is a preference for candidates who may continue event support during occasional nights and weekends through September 2022. The work schedule is typically Tuesday through Saturday and will include at least one evening shift (1pm – 9pm) a week. All candidates must commit to working on three out of four weekends a month.
How to Apply
Please send your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com for consideration. Please use the Subject line “PROGRAM INTERN Application (your last name)” in your email.
Benefits and Salary
Stipend of $5800 for 13 weeks of work without benefits.
About Boston Harbor Now
Boston Harbor Now works at the intersection of people and nature to advocate for open space, public infrastructure, and private sector development that will enhance public access to the Harbor and protect the City from the impacts of climate change. We seek to activate the Harbor, reconnect it with Boston’s neighborhoods, and protect water-dependent uses. And we build and broaden the constituency for the Harbor by engaging people through diverse programs — getting them down to the waterfront and out to the Harbor Islands.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Boston Harbor Now is an intentionally diverse workplace. We are intentional about hiring, developing, and retaining people of color at all levels. We don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them, we value them, we promote them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, volunteers, supporters, partners, and community. We recognize that people bring their personal histories to work and that we make better decisions when we include a wide range of experiences and opinions. Diversity refers not only to race and gender, but also to an array of human differences including: culture, ethnicity, geography, socio-economic position, ability, sexual orientation, background, perspective and more that exist in the community and are reflected in the workforce. We value using a race equity lens to manage the organization and create spaces for conversations on race and ongoing staff and board engagement and empowerment to redesign policies, practices, services and programs. Boston Harbor Now strongly believes that diversity plays an essential role in our mission, fostering innovation and creativity, attracting the best candidates to our team, and enhancing our ability to serve.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
To apply for this job please visit bostonharbor.org.