Development (Fundraising) Manager
Development (Fundraising) Manager
Website Earthwatch Institute
Earthwatch is seeking a Development Manager to support the implementation of Earthwatch’s fundraising strategy around unrestricted donations and grant funding. The Development Manager will focus their efforts on foundations, work closely with the CEO to share a portfolio of major donors and work on an anniversary campaign. They will spend half their time on foundations/grant writing and half their time on major donors/campaigns. The manager plays a key role on a small but mighty Development team that is tasked with fundraising for a global environmental mission. We are seeking a team player with strong organization and communications skills in this multi-faceted role.
- Major donor and campaign support—50%Work closely with the CEO to track and execute moves management for major donors, who have the potential to give 5–7 figure gifts.
- Serve as a relationship holder for a small number of major donors.
- Prepare materials that highlight the mission impact for a portfolio of major donors.
- Maintain donor information to a high standard within the organization’s database. Including data pulling and maintaining your own data and prospect lists.
- Generate major gift donor prospects by conducting preliminary donor research.
- Identify opportunities for increases from existing donors.
- Liaise with Board members to track stewardship and cultivation of new funder leads.
- Support anniversary campaign administration, including meeting notes and tracking of action items.
- Utilize creative talents and resources to develop and improve existing workflows and protocols.
- Provide support in the coordination of fundraising events and additional creative donor-centered programming.
Foundations and grant writing—50%
- Serve as relationship holder for a portfolio of foundations.
- Write and submit grant proposals to foundations that demonstrate a compelling need for financial support in the 5–7 figure range.
- Manage foundation funding prospects:Research potential foundation opportunities
Maintain grants calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, gift acknowledgments, reports, and other stewardship activities.
- Maintain up-to-date records of grant applications in the organization’s database
- Collaborate effectively with the program department from the proposal stage through to program implementation, reporting, and renewals. Including identifying areas of need, opportunities for program expansion, and gathering data and metrics necessary for written materials development.
- 2+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, funder relationship management, grant writing, and/or a related field.
- Highly articulate with exceptional interpersonal, writing, and editing skills. Ability to motivate support for Earthwatch’s programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the fundraising process: cultivation, stewardship, the ask, and reporting.
- Understanding of complex environmental issues and ability to showcase the impact of Earthwatch programs on the issues and the people we serve.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven successful project management skills.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with individuals and teams at all levels.
- Display a positive attitude, and demonstrate presence, self-confidence, and good listening skills.
- Embrace the mission, vision, and goals of Earthwatch and have a deep respect for the role of science in environmental challenges.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Professional proficiency in Office365, video conferencing software, and CRM databases.
To apply for this job please visit earthwatch.org.