Director of Finance and Administration
Director of Finance and Administration
Website Global Arts LIve
Director of Finance and Administration
Global Arts Live and 585 Arts
Cambridge, MA, United States
For over 30 years, Global Arts Live has brought exceptional music and dance to stages across greater Boston. We invest in longstanding relationships with artists, support them with commissions, develop audiences for their work. Since inception, Global Arts Live has presented more than 800 artists from 70+ countries in over 1,500 performances attended by more than 1 million people. With an artistic vision focused on cultural diversity, many of our artistic projects express universal themes of identity, immigration, heritage, and inclusion. 70% of presented artists identify as BIPOC. Audience surveys demonstrate that our audiences roughly correlate to the Boston area population with 23% of our audiences identifying as BIPOC and 44% speaking a language other than English. We aspire to transcend borders, cultivate community, and enrich lives.
Global Arts Live is ushering in an unprecedented phase of growth. The organization hired a CEO two years ago to augment the work of the Founder, who continues as Director of Artistic Programs. We are partnering with a real estate developer who is funding and building a $40 million performing arts center in Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA, scheduled to open in 2025. Global Arts Live, and our new not-for-profit, 585 Arts, Inc., will be the operating partners of this new cultural center. We are currently engaged in an exciting $15 million fundraising campaign to support the innovative programs, operations, and sustainability of the new center.
As the new Director of Finance and Administration, reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), you will have a “hands on” role that will define the process and implement the infrastructure and systems needed to support current programming and future growth. You will continue to build and manage effective and streamlined systems to support finance, accounting, human resources (HR), information technology (IT), insurance, legal, and physical infrastructure.
While Global Arts Live has a current annual budget of ~$2.5M and a staff of 8 full-time employees, by 2026 we will more than double the budget and expand to at least 30 full-time employees. You will be a key member of the organization’s leadership team, integrally involved in strategic planning, evaluation and new initiatives.
This is full-time, salaried, and offers competitive employee benefits.
As a key member of the leadership team, you will contribute to the organization’s strategic goals and tactical operations, including ensuring financial stability and sustainability, specifically:
Management and Reporting
• Operate, adjust as needed, and interpret a sophisticated strategic financial model (pro forma) that projects Fiscal 2024 through 2030, now being revised through consultant-led strategic planning.
• Prepare and oversee implementation of budgets, schedules, and strategic goals, including preparation and gaining approval of annual budget, and analyzing budget v. actuals to create reprojections as needed, in collaboration with the CEO
• Support the CEO and Director of Development in preparing materials for grant applications, funding organizations, individual donors, and prospective partners
• Prepare financial presentations for the Board and Board Committees, and as responsibilities increase, work directly with the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee to present finance reports to the full Board, in collaboration with the CEO
Finance, Accounting, and Bookkeeping
• Manage all day-to-day bookkeeping
• Develop and implement best practices and internal controls in financial management and reporting that ensures financial health and stability of the organization
• Process concert settlements with Founder and Director of Artistic Programs
• Prepare, record, and submit bank deposits and other receivables
• Prepare, gain approval of, and issue payables
• Manage payroll, benefits administration, and associated filings
• In accordance with ‘Generally Accepted Accounting Principals’ perform general ledger accountant duties, including month-end closing activities and reconciliations as well as analysis of account payables and account receivables.
• Prepare and monitor short and long-term cash flow requirements.
• Prepare for and manage annual external audit with independent audit firm, including day-to-day record-keeping, timely preparation of schedules and documentation, and field work coordination
• Prepare, file and pay all non-payroll taxes such as independent contractors, artist state and federal artist withholding taxes
• Administer all employee benefits, including health, dental, disability, 403(b) and SIMPLE cafeteria plans
• Keep current on federal and state employment laws, update and distribute personnel policies, consult with legal counsel as necessary to ensure compliance
• Develop and implement best practices and protocols in human resources management and reporting
• Coordinate recruitment, diversity practices, hiring, and onboarding of new employees, in tandem with hiring managers
• Maintain job descriptions for all positions and individual employees
• Assist CEO in developing compensation ranges in the context of the annual budget through cost-of-living increases and comparative salary research
• Foster a positive workplace culture by managing employee relations, conflict resolution, and performance management processes.
• Monitor, and help develop organizational culture, in collaboration with CEO and Leadership team
• Serve as a supportive resource for employees to discuss confidential matters, including morale and relationship to the organization
• Initiate contract templates, business workflows, and systems in preparation for launching the new performing arts center
• Work with CEO on capital purchase decisions; maintain capital purchase schedules and reports
• Coordinate legal matters, in collaboration with the CEO and outside counsel
• Oversee IT hardware, software, cyber security, and maintenance, including associated management of consultants/contractors, and provision of minor technical assistance to staff
• Review and approve contracts with outside vendors, including managing signing of artist and venue contracts
• Oversee and coordinate general administrative office operations and purchase of office supplies and equipment
• Monitor insurance needs and policies, including planning for new facility, and prepare annual Workers Compensation Audit
• Oversee office space rental, security systems, and general office operations.
• Global Arts Live offices are located at 720 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA, and concerts are held in venues across Boston, Somerville, and Cambridge
• Work is generally performed in the office and at events, with some flexibility for working partially remote
• Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time, walk up and down stairs, and lift 30 lbs.
• Representing the organization at night and weekend concerts; approximately 12-15 concerts per year
• Current COVID-19 office protocols include required vaccination (medical or religious exceptions accepted), testing, and avoiding coming into the office if ill or contagious. Masking is at individual discretion, and masks are provided as needed for work activities such as concerts. (Subject to change as health guidance is updated.)
DESIRED SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES
In addition to a genuine curiosity about, and affinity for the mission and high artistic standards of Global Arts Live, the qualified candidate must be:
• Passionate about music, dance and the mission of Global Arts Live
• Highly reliable hands-on manager with integrity and strong ethics
• A self-motivated quick learner, with the desire to work in a dynamic, agile team and mission-driven environment
• A persuasive communicator who leads by example and can work effectively and collaboratively
• Able to foster teamwork through strong interpersonal skills in a in a fast-paced environment and deadline-driven situations
• Exceptionally organized and accurate, with the ability to plan, set achievable goals and follow-through effectively and with attention to details
• Interested in authentic work with diverse communities and cultures, and committed to advancing anti-racism and equity in the mission delivery and workplace
• Discreet in handling confidential information
• Additionally, a sense of humor is welcome
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration required, or equivalent experience
• 4+ years of accounting experience preferred with demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control and reporting, with very strong preference for experience in a non-profit environment
• 2+ years of experience supervising and managing direct reports in a collaborative environment preferred
• Knowledge of HR-related laws and best practices preferred
• Broad technical knowledge with information systems management preferred
• Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, and general knowledge of CRM databases) required
• Data analytics skills preferred
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary ranging from $90,000 to $100,000, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include health, dental, disability and life insurance; SIMPLE Cafeteria flexible spending account; paid vacation, sick, and personal days; retirement plan; and paid holidays.
• You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
• Applications must have a cover letter to be considered. Please create a single pdf with your cover letter and resume. In your cover letter please mention how you heard of this opportunity.
• Email the pdf to email@example.com, with your Last Name, First Initial, in both the email subject line and pdf name.
• No postal mail, no phone calls, please.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to arts and culture administration, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or ready to take the next step in your career path, we will be glad to consider your application.
Global Arts Live is committed to creating a work environment that values respect, integrity, diversity, and inclusion.
Global Arts Live prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Global Arts Live conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
To apply for this job please visit www.globalartslive.org.