Director of Contracts
Director of Contracts
Website Jobs for the Future
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About this position:
The Director of Contracts is a new position at JFF, designed to provide expert facilitation and overall process management and improvement for a range of legal agreements for our growing portfolio of programs and activities with a customer service orientation.
Reporting to the COO, the Director of Contracts manages and oversees JFF’s award agreement and contracting processes, ensuring high quality and timely outcomes for these critical services. The Director consults and collaborates with program, development, and fiscal colleagues in the negotiation and finalization of award agreements, partnering agreements, and other program related legal documents. The Director manages the contracting function, seeking to support JFF’s strategic and business interests in contract or procurement and engagement, while ensuring compliance with contractual and legal obligations as our work grows and diversifies. The Director will serve as the primary interface with outside counsel, providing outside counsel management to ensure that the needs of internal stakeholders are met.
We are seeking a strong relationship builder with an insightful and collaborative leadership style who seeks to develop solutions and improve systems. We are a rapidly growing organization so experience with change management and creating scalable systems is key.
What you’ll do:
Contracts and Awards: (60%)
- Oversee and provide management of all and contracting processes, with an eye towards efficiency, quality, scalability and customer service.
- Develop, optimize and maintain communication protocols that support overall JFF programmatic objectives
- Develop and manage key relationships with internal and external stakeholders. As needed and requested, serve as the representative of and negotiate on behalf of project leads for
- Oversee contracting with contractors and subcontractors, ensuring alignment with relevant award agreements, ensuring adequate procurement methods and providing standardized contracts and clauses, and negotiating amendments as necessary.
- Advise on contract compliance and other questions across a range of contracts, including federal (Uniform Guidance and FAR), state and local, and private/non-governmental agreements. Interpret clauses, provide guidance on rules and relevant regulations, and identify and pursue possible solutions and remedies where necessary.
- Provide guidance and interpretation of award agreements to assure organizational compliance with confidentiality, publicity, data security, and other requirements.
- Develop and maintain systems for tracking documents through stages of development and negotiation, execution, amendment, and closure. Develop robust systems to enable program staff to manage contracting and contractors efficiently.
- Develop and maintain a library of standard legal agreements including federal and non-federal contracts, funding agreements, amendments, memoranda of understanding, non-disclosure agreements, and teaming agreements.
Procurement Management: (20%)
- Develop tools and processes to support diversification of contractors and suppliers, including tracking and reporting on current levels of diversity, and developing sourcing strategies and resources for use by internal partners.
- Partner with People & Culture and Finance in assuring consistent application of employee/contractor policies and regulations. Develop internal resources to support efficient and consistent use of and compensation for contractors.
Outside Counsel Management: (10%)
- Source specialized counsel where needed, such as for employment cases, M&A activity, IP questions or others.
- Process outside counsel bills, ensuring accuracy and allocating costs to appropriate budgets.
Management and Supervision (10%):
- Establish strategic service partner culture within the contracts team. Develop strong relationships across JFF, establish service standards, and adopt and publish KPIs.
- Supervise Contracts Manager, providing direction, support, and mentorship on a day to day basis.
Who You Are:
- You bring at least 10 years of relevant professional experience with the ability to manage complex legal matters within contracts, either from direct experience or through earning a JD or MBA.
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission; ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work.
- You have significant experience with commercial contracts, including experience negotiating intellectual property provisions.
- You have experience with government contracts and awards, including knowledge of federal grant and contracting regulations in particular the FAR.
- You have experience managing negotiations, including identifying priorities, establishing strategies, problem-solving solutions, and interfacing with counterparties.
- You are able to grasp complex legal, contractual, and regulatory issues and effectively communicate them to those with less expertise.
- You have experience with contract management software and/or are quick to learn software management systems
- You are a skilled relationship builder. You bring a consultative approach to your work, and place a premium on service-orientation and an ability to motivate and influence others to action.
- You are a systems improver, always working to make things better with the ability to invest internal and external stakeholders in your visions for improvement
- You are highly analytical, possess demonstrated ability to synthesize and analyze both qualitative and quantitative data to help internal business partners make strategic decisions.
- You are highly organized and are able to create and manage multi-party business processes within a complex organization.
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work
All JFF employees are required to be fully up to date on their vaccinations against COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption has been requested and a reasonable accommodation approved.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Brian Douglas, COO, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Positions at JFF are not eligible for employer-visa sponsorship or open to F-1 student visa holders.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.
To apply for this job please visit grnh.se.