MassDevelopment, the state’s development finance agency and land bank, works with businesses, nonprofits, banks, and communities to stimulate economic growth. Through these collaborations we help create jobs, increase the number of housing units, revitalize urban environments, and address factors limiting growth including transportation, energy, and infrastructure deficiencies.
MassDevelopment is committed to achieving three goals: stimulating business, driving economic growth, and helping communities across Massachusetts, all through the lens of access, diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to provide a work environment that celebrates difference and is free of implicit and explicit bias; an environment that recognizes the thoughts and contributions of every colleague as crucial to our collective success.
Job Location: Boston/Hybrid
Minimum of three days in the Boston, MA office, remaining two days worked remotely.
Reports to: General Counsel
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for an attorney to fill the role of Counsel in our Legal department. This position will provide legal advice to the agency’s financial and transactional activities, ensuring compliance with state and federal securities, lending, and tax laws.
- Provide general business counsel and financial transactional expertise to the agency, which provides assistance and support to a broad range of industries.
- Assist in structuring and negotiating of financing; represent the agency on loan/guarantee transactions.
- Draft master instruments and related documents to govern tax-exempt bond sales; advise on all aspects of commercial lending programs; support commercial and affordable residential real estate financing transactions, grant programs and agreements; and advise on governance of agency trust funds.
- Develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships across the agency.
- Provide other legal advice as directed by the General Counsel.
- Select, oversee, and manage outside counsel relationships as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned..
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Four years experience in the field of finance and securities law, federal tax requirement, commercial lending and general commercial contract law working at a law firm, in-house legal department or at another public or quasi-public agency, or a combination of education and experience.
- Massachusetts Bar membership, ability to waive into membership or register as in-house counsel.
- Proven ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline, in a fast paced environment, with ever-changing business and legal objectives.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently, as needed.
- Excellent client relations skills and a demonstrated dedication to client service.
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to travel periodically, in and out of the state.
- Familiarity with state conflict of interest, open meetings and public records law.
- Bilingual a plus.
MassDevelopment offers a robust and generous benefits package. In addition to standard benefits, highlights include:
Student Loan Reimbursement
Premium Medical and Dental Coverage
Generous employer Contributions to Retirement Savings Plans7.5% employer contribution into a 401(a) Defined Contribution Plan
457(b) with employer match of up to 5%
Charitable giving matching gifts
MassDevelopment’s commitment to access, diversity, equity, and inclusion means we welcome individuals of all abilities, ages, educations, ethnicities, family statuses, gender identities, genders, genetic information, languages, marital status, military experiences, political views, pregnancy, religions, sexual orientations, socioeconomic statuses, and work experiences. We encourage applicants from diverse lived experiences to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.cognitoforms.com.