Digital Media & Marketing Specialist
Digital Media & Marketing Specialist
Website Metropolitan Area Planning Council
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) seeks candidates for the position of Digital Media & Marketing Specialist in the Communications Department, a collaborative and multi-disciplinary team that works across departments at MAPC to support each staff member’s work. This is a key position in the team’s outreach and engagement strategy, reporting to the Director of Communications and working with other members of the department including the Senior Communications Specialist to publicize MAPC’s work. This role works especially closely with our Visual Designer to create and deploy brand consistent materials across social media, events, our website and more.
The Communications Department oversees all of MAPC’s internal and external communications and will embark on a website redesign and brand refresh within the next 1-2 years. This role is an opportunity to join a growing team in a mission-driven organization that drives policy change and educates the region’s residents on smart growth and sustainable regional planning.
MAPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in the 101 cities and towns that make up Greater Boston. Our strategic priorities are sustainable development, regional collaboration, and fostering an equitable and resilient region. We are guided by our regional plan, MetroCommon2050: Shaping the Region Together. MAPC’s staff includes approximately 100 full-time employees located in Downtown Boston in a transit-accessible, bike-friendly office.
MAPC has a hybrid schedule, combining time in the office with remote work.
MAPC strongly supports the professional development of each and every staff person, believing their growth to be consistent with the best interests of MAPC and the region. We encourage all our staff to develop new ideas to make MAPC’s planning and policy work more relevant and impactful, and to adapt to changing times.
This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and innovative environment with professionals who are committed to building a more sustainable and equitable future for everyone who lives and works in Greater Boston. For more information about MAPC or MetroCommon2050, please visit www.mapc.org.
About the Department:
The Communications Department at MAPC is a four-member team that oversees graphic design, media relations, social media management, messaging, audience analysis, e-mail marketing, technical writing and editing, outreach, and event assistance, working closely with our government affairs staff on policy-related campaigns and with our community engagement staff to help drive inclusive public participation in MAPC’s projects. The department is responsible for the agency’s public-facing branding and social media presence, as well as day-to-day management of our website, www.mapc.org. The department also supports our internal communications work, including emails summarizing our recent press activity, communicating MAPC project milestones to our board and leadership, supporting our HR team with important staff-wide internal communications, and serving as liaison to partner organizations on a spectrum of communications tasks.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Support the development and implementation of a marketing and communications strategy at the agency, in collaboration with the full Communications team;
- Develop goals, strategies and tactics for digital outreach in collaboration with the Senior Communications Specialist and Communications Director, working closely with the Visual Designer to conceptualize assets needed;
- Implement daily and weekly tasks in our project-based communications plans, based on audience analysis, outreach plans and marketing/press goals;
Handle the day-to-day posting on MAPC’s social media channels, including placing paid content such as Facebook ads;
- Work with the Visual Designer to create digital assets such as social media cards, public meetings/event materials, final project reports, presentation, and other public-facing products;
Work with our HR, Operations, and other departments at MAPC to create helpful internal documents for staff;
- Implement content updates to the mapc.org website, utilizing branding and templates developed by the Visual Designer;
- Create and send MAPC’s monthly newsletters and monthly board meeting reports;
- Work with the Visual Designer and the Government Affairs staff to implement communications strategies that further our legislative agenda;
- Ensure all materials created adhere to accessibility standards; and
- Assist with photography, photo editing, and selection of images for all designed materials, in concert with the Visual Designer.
Candidates for this position should have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Communications and 1-3 years of experience in communications, public relations, or similar.
Successful candidates for this position will demonstrate all or most of the following:
- Strong copy-editing and content creation skills;
- Experience using e-marketing software such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp;
- Knowledge of audience analysis and A/B testing;
- Experience utilizing social media, especially in a public policy setting;
- Training or experience in SEO and social media promotion;
- Facility with social and web analytics and ability to compile basic data reports;
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and ability to use/adapt templates
- Understanding and interest in the regional issues facing Greater Boston, especially related to urban planning, equity and civic engagement;
- Experience with event management or support;
- Knowledge of project management platforms such as ClickUp and Airtable
Per MAPC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy, the selected candidate is required to be current with COVID-19 vaccinations as defined by the CDC by the agreed-upon start date. See COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots | CDC.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary ranges from $65,000 to $75,000 depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time exempt position. MAPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits as well as a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment and a commitment to continued professional development.
How to Apply
Apply online at www.mapc.org/jobs. The position is open until filled, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Candidates selected to interview will be asked to submit three (3) references plus a sample of relevant writing or work product. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. MAPC participates in E-Verify, which is a federal program that helps us to determine work eligibility in the United States.
MAPC is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that a staff with a range of perspectives, experiences, and skillsets strengthens our work. We are committed to building a more equitable workplace that allows staff with diverse backgrounds and identities to thrive, grow, and lead. For more information on MAPC’s culture of equity, see our Equity at MAPC page.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com