IT System Administrator II
IT System Administrator II
Website Metropolitan Area Planning Council
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council – an independent state agency serving Greater Boston – is looking for an experienced IT System Administrator to join our team serving a 120-person staff in Downtown Boston. Principal responsibilities will include managing the agency’s on-site servers, cloud services, backup, and O365 accounts; leading the design and implementation of strategic IT initiatives; and supporting the maintenance of AWS or Azure servers hosting custom web applications. All this work takes place in the context of a mission-driven agency staffed by researchers, web developers, planners, and public engagement specialists working to promote affordable housing, sustainable transportation, municipal collaboration, and inclusive decision-making.
This position is part of a growing IT team that currently includes an experienced IT Manager and two helpdesk specialists, working as part of the Data Services Department, a group of planners, analysts, and web developers focused on using data and technology to support informed regional planning. The position will offer many opportunities for project leadership, staff oversight, professional development, and career advancement. Qualifications for the role include experience with MS Azure administration, MS O365 administration, and supporting staff in a hybrid work environment. Knowledge of AWS administration and Citrix Virtual Apps/Desktops is also preferred. Qualifications include 5 – 10 years of progressively responsible experience that demonstrates a range of capabilities. The ideal candidate will be positive, detail-oriented, self-directed, and committed to a more sustainable and equitable region.
MAPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in the 101 cities and towns that make up Greater Boston. Our strategic priorities are sustainable development, regional collaboration, and fostering an equitable and resilient region. We are guided by our regional plan, MetroCommon2050: Shaping the Region Together. MAPC’s staff includes approximately 100 full-time employees located in Downtown Boston in a transit-accessible, bike-friendly office.
MAPC has a hybrid schedule, combining time in the office with remote work. Employees must reside within a commutable distance from MAPC’s Boston office.
MAPC strongly supports the professional development of each and every staff person, believing their growth to be consistent with the best interests of MAPC and the region. We encourage all our staff to develop new ideas to make MAPC’s planning and policy work more relevant and impactful, and to adapt to changing times.
This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and innovative environment with professionals who are committed to building a more sustainable and equitable future for everyone who lives and works in Greater Boston. For more information about MAPC or MetroCommon2050, please visit www.mapc.org.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Provide guidance for the Helpdesk Generalists on staff
Configure, maintain, and optimize MAPC’s connection and integration with Azure and all O365 cloud applications
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop systems in a Hyper-V infrastructure
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot virtual servers and desktops in a Hyper-V infrastructure
- Assist IT Manager with maintenance of on-site agency servers and the clustered Hyper-V and XenServer environments
- Assist Digital Services team with configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Amazon Web Services servers (mostly Linux) hosting our databases and custom web applications
- Manage and maintain network/email accounts in a hybrid environment when necessary
- Provide second-tier and third-tier IT support to MAPC staff both on- and off-site, addressing issues that cannot be resolved by the helpdesk generalists
- Assist colleagues with infrastructure projects and tasks where needed, including maintenance and documentation of core IT infrastructures
- Assist with management of Cisco VOIP phone system
- Install, upgrade, and troubleshoot a variety of software and hardware; install and support network printers; set up and troubleshoot mobile devices
- Provide occasional on-call technical assistance outside of normal workdays and be available for scheduled system maintenance events that may take place nights and weekends
Candidates should have 10 years of progressively advancing experience that demonstrates a range of capabilities. Post-secondary education (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, certificates) in technology/computer science fields can substitute for up to five years of work experience.
Microsoft Certified Professional Certification desired: MCSA or MCSE preferred
Successful candidates will demonstrate all or most of the following:
- Strong technical troubleshooting and support skills with a focus on Microsoft technologies, MS Office Products, and MS SaaS products
- Experience with physical server and SAN hardware (Dell / EMC preferred) while working in clustered environments
- Experience with virtualization technologies, preferably MS Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer
- Advanced knowledge of PC hardware and Microsoft operating systems including Windows 10 and 11, current Windows Servers, and Mac OS
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products including Office 365 and its administration
- Advanced understanding of networking technologies and protocols such as IP addressing, DNS, DHCP, and routing through multiple VLAN’s
- Demonstrated experience with configuration and maintenance of Amazon environments which includes Windows and Linux Servers (Ubuntu preferred) or other Linux OS’s
- Experience with troubleshooting and support of Linux technologies, preferably in Ubuntu
- Advanced knowledge of Active Directory and Group Policies
- Demonstrated experience with VOIP, preferably Cisco
- Knowledge of MS SQL for supporting and troubleshooting is preferred
- Experience with helpdesk ticket systems
- Excellent communications skills both verbal and written to technical and non-technical staff
- Excellent time management and problem-solving skills; ability to prioritize assigned projects, help desk calls, and emails
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and ability to research modern technologies
Per MAPC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy, all employees, including remote employees, must be fully vaccinated. This position will require the selected candidate to show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, including the Bivalent booster. MAPC is an equal opportunity employer and will consider reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary ranges from $80,000 to $95,000 depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time exempt position. MAPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits as well as a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment.
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.mapc.org/jobs. The position is open until filled, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Candidates selected to interview will be asked to submit three (3) references plus a sample of relevant writing or work product. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. A Criminal Offenders Records Information (CORI) request must be completed if offered this position. However, a criminal record is not an automatic bar to employment but will be reviewed in relation to the job applied for. MAPC participates in E-Verify, which is a federal program that helps us to determine work eligibility in the United States.
We believe that a staff with a range of perspectives, experiences, and skillsets strengthens our work. We are committed to building a more equitable workplace that allows staff with diverse backgrounds and identities to thrive, grow, and lead. For more information on MAPC’s culture of equity, see our Equity at MAPC page.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.