Website Town of Concord, MA
Do you want a job you can take pride in, be part of a committed team, work for a progressive, customer-oriented municipality, & join one of New England’s finest public works organizations? Come to work as a Cemetery Specialist in a treasured landmark cemetery listed with the National Register of Historic Places. You will perform skilled operator, grounds keeping, general labor duties & interact with a wide variety of public & private individuals in the operation & maintenance of the cemetery. Requires good communication skills; a Class B CDL & hydraulic hoisting license; exp. operating heavy equipment; grounds maintenance & willingness to contribute to a team environment. CDL drivers are subject to random drug/alcohol testing. Full pay range: $23.66 – $33.55/hour, starting pay based on qualifications and typically within the first half of the range.
Applications will continue to be accepted until filled. All applications will be reviewed and the most highly qualified candidates will be invited to one or more interviews and/or other assessments. Applicants will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has been made regarding their individual application.
Appointment of the final candidate will be contingent upon the results of pre-placement conditions including criminal and motor vehicle record checks, a physical exam, and a drug screening. Costs for these pre-placement requirements will be borne by the Town.
The Town of Concord, MA is EEO Employer. We value diversity and welcome candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Under the general supervision of the Cemetery Supervisor, prepares grounds for funerals, performs maintenance of equipment, grounds keeping and maintenance of buildings. Performs genealogy for the public and responds to calls for snow plowing/removal. Responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under their direction and control. Performs varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental operations and the exercise of judgment and initiative in completing tasks, particularly in situations not clearly defined by precedent or established procedures. Incumbent is called upon to handle a significant amount of details, each varying from the other in substance and content, requiring incumbent to approach workload with flexibility. Incumbent must have knowledge of and follow safe work and construction practices including the use of Personal Protective Equipment and public safety measures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
· Operates riding and hand powered lawn mowing equipment, chain saw, stump cutter and other ground maintenance equipment to mow and maintain lawns. Picks up debris, rakes and removes leaves. Cuts and prunes shrubbery and trees and performs other cemetery maintenance work.
· Operates a variety of heavy and light motorized construction equipment and vehicles such as backhoe, front-end loader, mini excavator, street sweeper- and other related equipment.
· Assists in the preparation for burial, including the digging, set up and filling of graves; assists in the maintenance of grave sites by planting and preserving flowers, repairing graves that have settled, and other tasks as appropriate, to maintain proper condition for family viewing.
· In the absence of the cemetery supervisor meets with family members and others to review cemetery plot policies, pricing, and available locations; sells cemetery lots and is responsible for related funeral arrangements dealing with funeral home directors and vault and monument companies.
· Participates in the installation and repair of foundations, the erection and moving of monuments and the placing of granite markers for identification purposes. Participates or oversees the opening and closing of graves and ensures compliance with proper interment procedures.
· Performs repair and maintenance of cemetery grounds including seeding, – and marking gravesites. Ensures that cemeteries are maintained in accordance with applicable rules and safety precautions. Performs grounds maintenance tasks including grass cutting, laying sod, raking and landscaping. Erects and repairs fences.
· Performs genealogy research as requested by the public and directed by supervisor. Assists the public with the purchase and location of lots. Responds to a variety of inquiries and requests – from families, the public, contractors and others related to cemetery operations and activities within scope of authority.
· Responds to town wide snow and weather emergencies to operate snow plowing/removal and sanding and salting equipment under direction of the Highway Supervisor. Shovels snow and spreads salt on cemetery roadways, walkways, stairs, etc. and maintenance of Town Property for the public’s safety.
· Performs general maintenance and repair of all department equipment, following prescribed routine maintenance procedures. Inspects equipment prior to operation to assure that all controls and safety devices are functioning properly. Lubricates and otherwise services the equipment as part of a programmed preventive maintenance schedules. Reports major malfunctions to the supervisor and individuals responsible for equipment.
· Performs special projects and related responsibilities as initiated and requested.
· Performs other related duties as required, directed or as the situation dictates.
· Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
· High school diploma or equivalent and one year experience in grounds maintenance, including the operation of heavy motor equipment; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Commercial Class B CDL driver’s license with air brake endorsement
· Massachusetts Hoisting Engineer license 2B
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Thorough knowledge of the materials, methods and techniques relative to cemetery operations and maintenance including landscaping, earthmoving, building upkeep, and machinery maintenance. Considerable knowledge of the mechanics of the varied equipment involved.
· Ability to operate a variety of heavy and light motorized equipment in accordance with safe operating procedures. Physical ability to frequently lift heavy materials in excess of 100 pounds utilizing proper body mechanics and techniques. Eyesight and hearing at or correctable to normal ranges.
· Ability to read, research and comprehend information. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to utilize proper sanitary precautions when handling trash, garbage and other potential biohazards.
· Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with the public, co-workers, other employees, departments, officials and other agencies. Ability to communicate appropriately and tactfully with funeral directors and bereaved family members, using patience and discretion.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work requires constant physical effort. Operates hand and power tools, heavy construction and maintenance equipment for long periods of time during all types of weather conditions. Operates riding and hand-powered lawn mowing equipment and heavy and light motorized equipment, chain saw, stump cutter and other ground maintenance equipment. Frequently lifts heavy materials in excess of
100 pounds; lifts carries and positions heavy objects. Work may involve recurring applications of considerable effort, such as lifting, jumping and occasional awkward positions. Carries heavy materials such as sand, stones and tools. Continuous walking, standing and climbing. Frequent periods requiring sustained uncomfortable physical positions.
Work is performed outdoors under variable weather conditions, near hazards associated with construction sites and frequently in dusty conditions. Work environment is moderately noisy and at times very loud. Work may be performed outside of normal business hours and on the weekends. Responds to emergency situations. Incumbent is required to traverse uneven terrain and is subject to the hazards associated with working around heavy equipment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org