Website Town of Concord, MA
The Town of Concord is seeking two seasonal Conservation Crew members to perform manual labor and general landscaping duties associated with conservation land management, including invasive species control and trail maintenance. Work schedule is Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. from May – September, 2023. Ideal candidates have plant identification skills, power tools experience, & basic carpentry skills. Must be 18 years or older with a valid driver’s license. Pay range is $15.00 – $25.00/hour; starting pay based on qualifications.
The deadline to submit an application is March 22, 2023. After the deadline, all applications will be reviewed and the most highly qualified candidates will be invited to one or more interviews and/or other assessments. All applicants will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has been made regarding their individual application. We value diversity and welcome candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Appointment of the final candidates will be contingent upon the results of pre-placement conditions including criminal and motor vehicle record checks, and a drug screening. Costs for these pre-placement requirements will be borne by the Town.
Under the general direction of the Natural Resources Director, our summer conservation crew performs manual labor and general landscaping duties associated with conservation land management, including invasive species control, trail maintenance, restoring plant and wildlife habitat, and associated field and office activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
· Mow and maintains trails on conservation lands.
· Restores plant and wildlife habitat.
· Builds and installs conservation kiosks and signs.
· Constructs and installs water bars, footbridges, and other trail structures as needed.
· Performs invasive species control.
· Maintains power tools and equipment.
· Performs some office work.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Possession of valid driver’s license.
· 18 years of age or older.
· Experience operating light equipment.
· Ability to operate hand and power tools, brush mowers and weed whips.
· Experience in trail maintenance and/or land management.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
· Basic plant identification skills, including native vegetation and invasive exotic species.
· Knowledge of basic carpentry skills and demonstrated ability to use tools, equipment and materials.
· Experience with water bar installation, footbridges, and other trail structures.
· Demonstrated equipment maintenance capabilities.
· MA Pesticide Applicators License.
· Familiarity with GPS and GIS.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
While performing the functions of this job, the employee will be required to perform manual labor, work outside, walk long distances, work in dense brush, and lift heavy loads in all types of weather conditions including rain, heat, and humidity. Work includes exposure to mosquitoes, ticks, and various environmental hazards. Employee is required to traverse uneven terrain and to stand, walk, sit, bend and reach for extended periods. Employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reaches and pulls with hands and arms; stoops, kneels, balances, climbs and crawls. Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. Incumbent must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sounds as voice patterns and communicate.
Operates vehicles, basic outdoor equipment, and hand and power tools. Operates computer, printer, video display terminal, typewriter, calculator, telephone, copier, facsimile machine and all other standard office equipment requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org