Public Health Nurse
Public Health Nurse
Website Town of Concord, MA
The Towns of Concord and Maynard are seeking to hire a full-time Public Health Nurse to support the towns of Concord and Maynard. The position will lead in Investigating and reporting cases of over 90 infectious diseases, including tuberculosis; enter data into MAVEN (the Massachusetts Virtual Epidemiologic Network) and complete disease investigation duties; manage foodborne disease outbreaks; hold immunization clinics and disease screenings; provide chronic disease self-management counseling; collaborate with others to plan and conduct community education programs in response to community health assessments and population health needs; educate the public about the risk of vector-borne infections (mosquitoes and ticks); enforce isolation and quarantine regulations. The public health nurse will participate in emergency preparedness by conducting all-hazards planning, including emergency dispensing site plans, emergency shelter management, and Medical Reserve Corp recruitment. Pay rate: $45/hour; 40 hours/week (25 hrs/ Concord and 15 hrs/Maynard)
Applications will continue to be accepted until filled. All applications will be reviewed and the most highly qualified candidates will be invited to one or more interviews and/or other assessments. Applicants will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has been made regarding their individual application.
Appointment of the final candidate will be contingent upon the results of pre-placement conditions including criminal and motor vehicle record checks, a physical exam, and a drug screening. Costs for these pre-placement requirements will be borne by the Town. We value diversity and welcome candidates of all backgrounds to apply. EEO
The Towns of Concord and Maynard are Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Town of Concord and Maynard do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or based on an individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. The Town of Concord and Maynard encourage applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans and all other qualified applicants.
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE
Draft, subject to approval by the Personnel Board
Department: Planning & Land Management, Health
Salary Grade: 10
Reports To: Public Health Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Appointed By: Town Manager
Date: July 2023
Under the general supervision of the Public Health Director, provides services to the Towns of Concord and Maynard. The position will lead take the lead in investigating and reporting cases for over 90 infectious diseases, including tuberculosis; enter data into MAVEN (the Massachusetts Virtual Epidemiologic Network) and complete disease investigation duties; manage foodborne disease outbreaks; hold immunization clinics and disease screenings; provide chronic disease self-management counseling; collaborate with others to plan and conduct community education programs in response to community health assessments and population health needs; educate the public about the risk of vector-borne infections (mosquitoes and ticks); enforce isolation and quarantine regulations. The public health nurse will participate in emergency preparedness by conducting all-hazards planning, including emergency dispensing site plans, emergency shelter management, and Medical Reserve Corp recruitment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of responsibilities that may be required. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Additionally, as a shared service position, some functions or duties may be performed as a lead role and others may be performed in a support role to a health department’s public health nursing lead.
· Plans, coordinates, and administers clinics such as immunizations, influenza, COVID-19, blood pressure, cholesterol, and others.
· Performs surveillance and data collection of all reportable communicable diseases and maintains records and files case investigation in MAVEN to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH)
· Orders and maintains adequate supplies of vaccine for residents and coordinates reallocation of MDPH supplied vaccine with local eligible providers and the MDPH.
· Dispenses vaccine, monitors related storage requirements, and maintains distribution records and usage of vaccine according to State regulations.
· Collaborates with other municipal departments such as Council on Aging, substance use prevention teams, and Public Safety on health issues such as older adult needs, mental health, substance use disorder.
· Complies with all departmental and state protocols including proper storage and disposal of medical supplies and waste.
• Provides home visits as requested and needed.
• Performs community health assessments and population health needs assessments.
· Identifies social determinants of health and population health needs of the community and identifies vulnerable populations; plans and implements relevant interventions.
• Plans, develops, and conducts community education programs.
· Assists with planning and coordination of emergency preparedness, including volunteer recruitment and training; and planning for events where the health of the population may be threatened.
· Collaborates with community, regional, and statewide resources to meet health needs of the population.
Responsible for Clinical portion of Food Borne illness investigations. Test food, clinical, and environmental specimens and confirm test results from clinical labs
Conducts molecular typing (PFGE and/or WGS) on isolates to identify clusters
Reports cases and clusters to epidemiology partners
Advises environmental health specialists and epidemiologists on the collection, handling, and transport of specimens and follow-up testing
· Maintains knowledge of current developments in public health nursing; attends seminars and workshops related to public health nursing.
· Performs miscellaneous office duties as they relate to record keeping, correspondence, electronic communication, filing, copying, scanning, and answering phones.
• Performs other related job duties as required.
May provide general supervision, mentoring, and functional oversight when working with other public health nurses. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work as needed; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and providing training if appropriate.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Required Minimum Qualifications
• Registered Nurse license (RN)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (BSN)
• At least 2 years of population health experience (e.g., VNA, Community Health Worker)
• Valid Class D Motor Vehicle Driver’s license required.
• CPR Certification
Required Credentialing After Hire
• MAVEN training within 6 months of hire
• Foundations for Local Public Health Practice course within 1 year of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Bi-lingual a plus, Portuguese or Spanish preferred
• Experience as a Public Health Nurse
• Experience with MAVEN
• Knowledge of Local Public Health functions (i.e., housing inspections, restaurant inspections, etc.)
• Knowledge of Local, State and Federal laws, policies, practices, and procedures related to public health nursing.
• Knowledge of communicable diseases/infection control, vaccine and immunization procedures and laws, state regulations and codes, and public health principles.
• Working knowledge of drug and immunization interactions and adverse side effects.
• Knowledge of human services and familiarity with community facilities, and resources for providing local services.
• Ability to independently make decisions.
• Commitment to the role of public health in promoting racial justice and health equity.
• Demonstrated cultural competency with expertise working with diverse, multi-lingual individuals and communities.
• Grant writing and reporting experience
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Literacy in computer software including Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to work with a high level of detail, to prioritize multiple tasks, and to deal effectively with interruptions.
• Ability to change direction and rearrange tasks according to deadlines and circumstance.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Most work is performed in typical office conditions, with regular attendance at off-site meetings. The employee operates standard office equipment. The employee has ongoing contact with other town departments, outside agencies, and the public by telephone, e-mail, in person, and in writing. This position may require direct client/patient contact, and, because of such direct contact, certain immunizations will be recommended and/or required prior to commencement of employment duties.
Moderate physical effort is required to perform duties under typical office conditions and travel to off-site locations. The employee is frequently required to sit, speak, hear, and use hands to operate equipment. Off-site locations may include meeting spaces, schools, clinicians’ offices, hospitals, and homes of patients/clients. Vision requirements include the ability to read and analyze documents and use a computer.
A Criminal Offenders Records Information request must be completed for this position. However, a record is not an automatic bar to employment but is reviewed in relation to the job applied for.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org