Website Town of Concord, MA
Concord Public Works is seeking temporary workers to perform manual labor and general landscaping duties, including operating basic outdoor equipment and vehicles. Work schedule is Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. from May – September, 2023. Some positions may extend into the fall. Must be 18 years or older with a valid driver’s license. Starting pay range is $18.00-22.00/hour, depending on qualifications.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The most highly qualified candidates will be invited to one or more interviews and/or other assessments. All applicants will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has been made regarding their individual application.
Appointment of the final candidate will be contingent upon the results of pre-placement conditions including criminal and motor vehicle record checks and a drug screening. Costs for these pre-placement requirements will be borne by the Town.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under general direction of the Highway and Grounds Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent, our Highway & Grounds Division seeks to fill the following full-time, seasonal positions to perform manual labor & general landscaping duties associated with public works operations; operates basic outdoor equipment & vehicles, picks-up trash, mows grass, whips weeds, plants trees, cleans vehicles & maintains grounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
· Operates riding and hand powered lawn mowing equipment, and other grounds maintenance equipment to mow and maintain lawns, pick up debris, rake and remove leaves, cut and prune shrubbery and trees.
· In cemeteries, excavates and prepares graves for burials.
· Performs routine repairs and maintenance to equipment and ensures its safe operating condition.
· Seeds, aerates and fertilizes athletic fields and measures, marks and paints lines on playing areas and surfaces.
· Performs other athletic field maintenance duties to prepare fields for use.
· Maintains and operates irrigation systems on town fields, parks and recreational areas.
· Assists with tree pruning, removal and plantings.
· Paints building interiors and exteriors.
· Moves furniture and equipment and sets up chairs, tables, etc., for special indoor and outdoor functions.
· Picks up trash, debris from roads or deceased animals.
· Mixes cement and assists with patching of minor potholes.
· Performs roadside maintenance, such as sweeping, raking and pruning roadside brush.
· Assists in making catch basins.
· Cleans vehicles.
· May install new playground equipment and perform routine repairs and maintenance tasks to ensure its safe operation.
· Assists other divisions as requested.
· Complies with all applicable safety regulations.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Possession of valid driver’s license.
· 18 years of age or older.
· Knowledge of turf grass maintenance, including methods, materials and equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
· Frequent and extended periods of outside work, subject to all weather conditions and extremes.
· Continuous walking, standing, climbing; frequent periods requiring sustained uncomfortable physical positions.
· Regular and sustained periods of strenuous physical exertion, requiring ability to lift, carry and position heavy objects utilizing proper body mechanics and techniques.
· Exposure to loud noise levels and high vibrations from equipment.
· Exercises caution when operating equipment or handling toxic chemicals or other materials.
· Utilizes proper sanitary precautions when handling trash, garbage and other potential bio-hazards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org