Website https://twitter.com/wyssinstitute Wyss Institute
The Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions, collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de- risk new technologies that don’t just succeed at making it to the market – they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver who wants to be part of a dynamic Research Operations team dedicated to supporting research that creates and commercializes novel approaches to global challenges in healthcare and sustainability. You are energetic, enthusiastic, and have many talents that you enjoy leveraging to solve complex problems in a fast-paced, industry-focused environment. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people and leveraging your expertise to support teams creating innovations that can change the world
About the role:
We are looking for a laboratory aide to join our Research Operations team. Reporting to the Associate Director of Research Operations, you will provide support to the Wyss Institute’s research teams by maintaining shared resources.
What you’ll do:
- Collect, clean, sterilize and re-stock glassware and other re-usable lab equipment using a glasswasher and autoclave to ensure stock of all type of glassware are available for researchers
- Prepare media, sterile water, and microcentrifuge tubes for common use
- Maintain lab stock of safety glasses and lens cleaner wipes
- Prepare agar plates and operate the plate pourer for common use stock
- Change Liquid Nitrogen tanks as needed
- Assist the Associate Director of Lab Operations with other duties as needed. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Assist with lab/bench clean outs
- Clean and maintain Shared Equipment
- Assist with freezer and fridge defrosts
- Decontaminate and dispose of biohazard waste
- Stocking the stock room
- Moving equipment
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you’ll need:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Experience in wet lab support role, such as glass washing and/or media preparation is highly desireable.
- Basic computer skills required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must be able to work independently after being given clear instructions.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to use basic tools such as screw drivers, wrenches, etc.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard
- Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.brassring.com.