Research Assistant III- 3D Organ Engineering and Cell Culture
Research Assistant III- 3D Organ Engineering and Cell Culture
Website https://twitter.com/wyssinstitute Wyss Institute
The Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions, collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de- risk new technologies that don’t just succeed at making it to the market – they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver who wants to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to creating and commercializing novel approaches to global challenges in healthcare and sustainability. You want the freedom to explore, to push the boundaries of what is possible, and to use your ambition to tackle challenging projects in a fast-paced, industry-focused environment without a lot of administrative hurdles. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people and leveraging your expertise to create innovations that can change the world.
About the role:
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Research Assistant to join the 3D Organ Engineering (3DOE) Initiative, co-led by professors Jennifer Lewis and Chris Chen. You will work on a new project focused on fabricating engineered adipose tissue for transplantation. Reporting to the Senior Staff Scientist in the 3DOE initiative and with technical guidance from the research team, you will manage cell cultures, work with bioreactors, assist in developing new protocols for cell isolation from clinical samples, assist with bioprinting and perform histology and microscopy. This role provides a great opportunity to learn new skills and contribute intellectually to an exciting new project with real commercial application. You may also have the unique opportunity to transition into a newly formed start-up company.
What you’ll do:
- Plan and execute scientific research dealing with adipose tissue fabrication with guidance from senior staff.
- Under the supervision of senior staff, assist in developing and validating experimental protocols, including, but not limited to, cell isolations from clinical samples, cell expansion, differentiation and aggregation.
- Perform Histology and microscopy.
- Carry out routine laboratory maintenance and procedures, such as maintaining equipment, supplies, and inventory.
- General laboratory responsibilities as required, including maintaining budgets and reporting laboratory results.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, biomedical engineering, or a related discipline is required.
- Two or more years of direct cell culture experience and sterile technique is required. Advanced education may count towards years of experience.
- Proven ability to draft and implement lab protocols is essential
- Experience with 3D cell cultures is preferred
- Experience with histology and microscopy
- Experience with microfluidics and/or related microfabrication techniques
- Experience with laboratory equipment monitoring and maintenance is strongly preferred
- The ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment is strongly preferred
- Strong work ethic, communication skills, and team-player-oriented personality is essential
- Strong organizational skills are a necessity
- Willingness to work outside of your discipline to accomplish project goals
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
This is a term position ending on 01/02/24 with the possibility of renewal.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state-of-the-art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.brassring.com.